Pages

Slider

Untitled

Monday, January 27, 2014

SHERWOOD WISCONSIN PHOTOGRAPHY | YOU ARE A PHOTOGRAPHER....Seriously you Are...

Hey Everyone!!!

Welcome to the 2nd installment of the Easy As Pie Series...I wanted to start of by welcoming you back into the fold! (Or something far less creepy). For those of you who are new to the "Easy as Pie" series, check out more info about it here.

Easy as Pie is a concept series which is all about helping novice or hobbyists recognize how "easy" photography can be for them, and also, the importance photography can play in our lives....

I want to share a video with you all about one photographer's uplifting perspective (David duChemin) on why you ARE a Photographer....

  Why You ARE a Photographer


In the world of photography there are so many varied viewpoints on what makes "photographer" a "Photographer"....as if...there is this big initiation into photography by some secret society...or a checklist somewhere that is required to be completed prior to receiving the all illusive photographer's badge of honor.

Though there is some validation to having some sort of checklist when hiring a professional photographer, I feel this system is subjective. Let's be honest, photography in a nutshell, is just one art medium.

And art, by nature is subjective. What people like about artwork varies based on each individuals preferences. True, some artwork speaks greater volumes or to more people than others. Not every artist is a "Van Gogh"..(in reality, very few artists acheive that level of notoriety). ..but that does not make the non-Van Gogh's of the world's art less valued by some. What gives art it's value is the ability to inspire the viewer to gain an emotional reaction to the subject.

Photography is no different. We can create emotional reactions to our images, simply by taking the image. Does it have to be a "Van Gogh?" or an "Ansel Adams?" to be valued as photography? Must we meet this level of fame to call ourselves a photographer? I do not think so..in fact I believe like the traditional art forms very few photographers acheive this level of notoriety.

Which in actuality is a great thing. It means that there are awesome amounts of every day people making beautiful works of art, and inspiring emotional reactions in others. Take a big sigh of relief folks...you really can be a photographer ....Here is an example.


I look at this image and I think to myself..."I LOVE IT!!!"....you may look at this image and think "????What is going on here? why take this picture??"...but to me the story behind this image is so meaningful, that nothing else matters. You see, this is my daughter, and she is using my computer. She is using it to research birds which she absolutely loves right now. That look on her face?? with her mouth hanging open? that is her "I'm Concentrating" face. This is an everyday moment that I will certainly forget without the photo to aid my memory.

And I do not want to forget this. I do not want to forget the way her face gets that "blank slate" look when she is thinking..I don't want to forget her passion for birds (Cardinals especially). I want to remember this moment.

And that is the power of photography. and why YOU are a photographer. You have the power to inspire an emotion from yourself, your family, others around you, fans you've never met. It is your viewpoint that makes it memorable. So go on...Take those pictures!!! Be a photographer. The quality of the work will come with practice, but never let the title stop you from making images, and harnessing emotions.

Thanks for stopping by!

~Jesse

0 comments:

Post a Comment